Thursday, January 7, 2010

Piggy Under Pressure

A few weeks back while out Christmas shopping, I ran across a small pressure cooker. My other one is very nice, but its soooooo huge I don't ever use it for cooking. Just canning. This one was the right size, had the safety features that I MUST have, and was on sale. Ok, you're coming home with me.

Last night I used it for the first time. I made a happy pig pork roast in 45 minutes, with another 5 additional minutes to cook the potatoes/parsnips/carrots. Parsnip puree is THE puree that we constantly see underneath food on those cooking shows. I don't know why a 'gourmet' scallop or piece of beef is always served on top of this sort of baby mush, but I thought those parsnips must be pretty tasty to be served repeatedly to such distinguished pallets.

Well, I tried them yet again, and in my opinion, they are what they are (not potatoes), and those chefs must add some magical butter or something to make them so delectable.

I still have a couple of parsnips. I'm going to try them in a pie with cheese and see if I can change my opinion of them.

The cooked meat.


Then add the veggies.


Cook another 5 minutes.


Done. The meat was tasty and tender. And the veggies were fully cooked - in 5 minutes!


But the very next recipe I'm trying with the pressure cooker is Oxtail Ragout.

Why?

Because I have an oxtail in my freezer that's why. It came along with my happy cow meat from the farm. As did a tongue and a heart. I gave those tantalizing chunks away. I kept the tail because I once saw Anthony Bourdain eat one, and he seemed to be in heaven.

No comments: