Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Motherload

For the last few months, Rich and I have been contemplating what we were going to fill our plant boxes with. They are nice and tall - to make gardening easy. But that's also a lot of volume.

Well the other day, driving to get my hair cut, I spotted through the leaf-less trees a giant pile of black. It turned out to be a HUGE compost pile from yard waste for the city next to us. They put it outside their gate, so we figure its free for the taking. So far Rich has made about 7 or so trips, about 8 pails each trip. And I think we finally have filled the boxes.




This is a pic of my buckthorn removal progress. Our back lot line used to be a solid wall of the stuff. I saved the native bushes (those are the little stumpy trees that are left) and we'll see how they do now that they have been "released" - released from their confinement trying to grow in the buckthorn.

No comments: